Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Lure of Egg Nog

Here's the story - both cats can sense when I lift a bottle/carton of milk out of the fridge.  And both magically appear in the kitchen, looking up with those 'I never get any milk' expressions along with some verbal abuse (well I am assuming it is abuse because it sounds worse than whining').  In the past I have been known to relent and give them a tablespoon of milk but not very often - and  these cats develop habits with only 1 occurance of anything that meets what they perceive as in their best interest.


At any rate, I've been sick and the cats have mostly been ignoring me.  Or maybe they are still ignoring me because I had the audacity to leave them for a few days while I vacationed in California.  They still climbed up and slept in the bed with me after I got home - although that's the only acknowledgment I got (thank heavens for the cat nanny coming over every day and my brother and sister-in-law that came over to check on them and to play).

Back to the story:  I wanted some egg nog so I poured a mug when I knew they were both sound asleep on my bed.  I took it to the living room with me and enjoyed a few sips before I fell asleep on the couch - remember I am still sick and the antibiotics are strong.  I woke up when I felt one of the cats climbing on my arm.... sure enough it was Millie.  After climbing over my arm, Millie proceeded with care to the tv tray.  While I was pulling out the iphone (and trying not to laugh), she boldly stuck her head in the mug and drank.... then looked at me as if I was the offender...  took a second small sip, licked her face and left. 



Moral of the story:  Start storing it in the fridge in the garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment