Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cabin Fever Strikes Again

Ugh.  Ice.  And more ice.

So the great ice storm rears its ugly head.  It was difficult to sleep the night the sleet started as it was hitting the north windows hard.  The cats were having a hard time sleeping too.  Then I discovered an inch of ice on the bottom of the north windows.  WOW.  Followed closely by UGH.

So the cats wanted to go outside. After all, they got to go out on Saturday and Sunday when the weather was nice.  They watched while the patio was cleaned without offering to help.  The plants in pots really needed some water before the bad weather hit again so I took off the freeze protection from the outside faucet and watered a bit.  I did put the freeze protection back on... I think.  Back to the original thought about going outside - no way.  They whined a bit (LOL a LOT).   but it was too icy and too cold.  The wind chill got down below zero. 

So now we've had ice forever.. ok, well, it seems forever.  There were rolling blackouts of electricity and in some cases, gas pressure was so low it wasn't working either.  Luckily, we haven't had any issues yet.

I turned on the fireplace so I could lower the heat for house a bit.  Sam wanted to help light the fire but I managed to keep him away long enough to light the gas.  LOL then he laid out in front of the fireplace and took a nap.  I guess being nosy wears a cat out.

Sam napping by the fireplace
 Millie, on the other hand, was curled up on my bed by the pillow.  She was curled up tight and didn't get up for a long time.  She didn't find the fire for a long time and then wasn't really too interested it it. 
Millie watching the fire
I had to lower the new blinds in the master bathroom because the windows are so large and one of them faces north.  Neither Sam nor Millie liked that.  They watch over the back yard in case a stray cat or bird comes by.  And sometimes, Mr Squirrel comes in the back yard when he knows they are inside and he is safe.  It's hard to keep that room warm and the water lines are on the outside west wall so I don't like it to get too cold in there.  There's a small electric heater that I use in there when the temperature gets below freezing.

And now snow is coming to visit for a while.  It's still supposed to get warmish on Saturday and Sunday for the Super Bowl.  I sure hope so but then the plumbers are saying that's when you'll find out if you have frozen pipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment